By Woven Metal Products
Today is Employee Appreciation Day, and at Woven Metal Products, we are thankful for the team members who choose to work with us. They are the people who have helped make us into the premier fabrication facility that we are today. Whether they’re working on the shop floor or handling administrative tasks in our back office, we are thankful for everyone who makes up the WMP family.
Get to know some of our team members, including some who have been with the company for nearly three decades.
Donna, Office Manager and Corporate Secretary
- How long have you worked with WMP? 15 years in June
- Why do you choose to work at WMP? When this position came open, some friends from church who worked at WMP reached out to me. I had heard it was a really good company, and I was ready for a change.
- Why have you stayed with WMP? Because it feels right. I have learned a great deal and been given the opportunity to grow. I love taking care of things for our staff, especially the shop crew. They are so appreciative and go out of their way to show it.
- What’s been your greatest professional success at WMP? I entered my job here at Woven Metal Products from a school setting and had never worked in a business office. While I catch on pretty quickly, I had absolutely no knowledge of the programs used or experience with payroll or accounting. Many of my successes are in learning many things and working to improve some of the processes in my department. Take payroll for example. It was previously done by paper check, and I pushed to move to direct deposit. I also worked with vendors and set up electronic payment for many of them. I researched and initiated the addition of short-term disability insurance for our employees. I also work with our employees to help them understand the benefits offered and get the most out of them. One of my goals is to make our employees feel like we truly care about them and want what is best for them. When I walk through the shop and get stopped by one of our employees just to tell me what’s going on in his or her life or to show me a picture of his or her new baby, their new house, or something else, I feel like I have succeeded.
- What’s something your team members may not know about you? I grew up a farm girl raising pigs and served as state officer in the high school FFA. I still love pigs!
Willy, Welder and Fabricator
- How long have you worked with WMP? 27 years
- Why do you choose to work at WMP? I heard about WMP through some friends, and I ended up staying here. It’s consistent work and good pay.
- What’s been your greatest professional success at WMP? I’ve done all sorts of complicated projects and welds. The one that stands out is a burner ring I did a long time ago. It was pretty complicated.
- What’s something your team members may not know about you? I’ve been around my friends at work for so long now that they know just about everything there is to know about me!
Wayne, Maintenance Supervisor
- How long have you worked with WMP? Right around 3 years
- Why do you choose to work at WMP? I believe people take multiple facts into consideration when deciding to work or make a career at a certain company. For many, stability is at the top of their list. WMP has been here since the 1960s, and our president, Russ, makes sure the company is constantly adapting to changes in the industry while at the same time holding on to the core values that have made it successful for so long. Also, being challenged has always been important to me. Having to work through problems to find solutions makes you better at what you do, and I get that here. And I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the people here. Being around all the different personalities and watching them use their unique talents to make it all come together makes coming to work fun.
- What’s been your greatest professional success at WMP? I honestly don’t view my work here in an individual sense. All our departments have specific roles, and teamwork is necessary for the company to be productive. At the end of the day, having a happy customer who is completely satisfied with our product and service is what I would consider a success.
- What’s something your team members may not know about you? I am the proud father of an 11-year-old daughter and a grandfather of four.
Sara, Drafting Associate
- How long have you worked with WMP? About 3 1/2 years
- What are your main job duties? My primary roles are fabrication drawings, 3D model interpretation and machine programming. I create job packets that consist of fabrication drawings, work order, job traveler, programs and anything else the shop may need to complete the project.
- Why do you choose to work at WMP? I like my coworkers, and the work environment is wonderful. Everyone is amiable and helpful. The schedule is flexible, and there are good benefits.
- What’s been your greatest professional success at WMP? My greatest success is I was able to quickly increase my drafting skills and knowledge as a young career professional at WMP. I got a lot of comprehensive training and support.
- What’s something your team members may not know about you? I like animals — especially dogs.
Cory, Welder and Fabricator
- How long have you worked with WMP? Almost 12 years
- Why do you choose to work at WMP? I really enjoy doing specialty fabrication work, and it’s nice to come into a predictable, consistent environment every day where I know what to expect. There are a lot of good opportunities for overtime, and overall, I’m comfortable here.
- What’s been your greatest professional success at WMP? I’ve done five or six really good size pipe jobs. They’re a lot more difficult than your typical job.
- What’s something your team members may not know about you? With my small group of work friends I’ve worked with every day for years, there’s not much they don’t know.
Lisa, Accounting Assistant
- How long have you worked with WMP? 13 years
- Why do you choose to work at WMP? I like the people I work with. I was working in retail before I came to WMP, and I was glad to transition out of that industry.
- What’s been your greatest professional success at WMP? I’ve become a part of the accounting department, which is what I’ve always wanted to do.
- What’s something your team members may not know about you? I am sure they pretty much know everything there is to know about me.